Transformation from Deafness to DEAFHOOD
What is Deafhood as you might ask, yes? Dr. Ladd coined the word “Deafhood” to describe positive ways of being Deaf in spite of the discrimination and oppression, and to present a framework to understand our past, work within the present, and plan for the future.
Deafhood Transformation comes with those mentality:
- Knows and cherishes the Deaf community.
- Explores the needs of the community and ways to address them.
- Identifies trends that affect the community such as audism, activism, and re-framing.
- Realizes a better future for our community, the world and ourselves.
- Invests in the community through annual funding of community projects such as grants.
Your participation into Deafhood mentality with Hawaii School for the Deaf and the Blind will help end the economic exploitation of Deaf people, support anti-audism work, and create a society where everyone experiences full humanity and celebrates American Sign Language and Deaf culture.
Come and be part of our collective community!